Withdrawing a child from a Scottish school to Home Educate
- Once you have made the decision to Home Educate, you need to write to your local education department requesting consent to withdraw your child from school.
- You MUST include information about your intentions and how you will provide an education, without this it is likely that your request will be declined.
You do not need to officially withdraw or notify the LA that you are Home Educating if:
- your child is leaving p7
- school has closed
- your child attends a school in another authority from the one you live
- if they attend a private school
- have never been registered at a school
- you move to a new LA area
- Consent to withdraw should not be unreasonably withheld. However, it is important that your child continues to attend school until you have permission in writing. This can take around 6 weeks.
- If you are considering deregistering a teenager please read this page.