£0.00 0

No products in the basket.

There’s a lot of new abbreviations and terminology to get your head around when starting to Home Educate. Here we try to explain the most commonly used.


Home Education or Home Educator.

Sometimes referred to as Home Schooling (HS), though this means the child is registered at school and the education provided by the school/LA, the term should not be used in the UK.


Elective Home Education.

Often used to mean the person/team at the LA that deals with Home Education.

Also known as EHE advisor, Home Education inspectors, teaching monitor and any other name they fancy really!


Children Missing Education.

Sometimes used when referring to the officer who’s role is CME, they are most commonly sent out to unknowns to ascertain how a child is educated and refers on to the EHE once they are told you Home Educate.


A shortening of the term deregistration, often used to refer to the deregistration letter or the act of deregistering.

The Scottish term is withdraw, the term deregistration is not used there.


This is your Local Authority/council. The term LA is often used with regard to anyone within the education team, whether truancy/Home Education/welfare etc.


Education welfare officer.

Usually responsible for children not attending school. Also known as truancy officers.


School Attendance Order, an order served by the LA naming a school you must send your child to when they do not believe a suitable education is placed.


Special educational needs.

Additional learning needs

Additional Support needs.
Copyright © Educational Freedom
 All rights reserved.

Staffordshire website design and website SEO by Fellowship Studios.