Sample letters and reports.
- If school refuses to dereg
- Response to monitoring request/sample report
- SAR/copy of file request
- Scotland Educational Provision Ideas
Letter to send to school if they are refusing to deregister
(England and Wales only)
Dear Heads name
I have received your letter dated …. I have taken advice and I understand that in law if I choose to deregister my child in order to home educate you must remove his name from the register immediately or risk prosecution. I therefore refer you to my deregistration letter dated the x.
The relevant law is the Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006 section 8(1)(d).
I would like to also refer you to the statutory School Attendance Guidance 2020, page 9, which says:
‘Home Educated Children.
On receipt of written notification to home educate, schools must inform the pupil’s local authority that the pupil is to be deleted from the admission register. Schools should not seek to persuade parents to educate their children at home as a way of avoiding excluding the pupil or because the pupil has a poor attendance record.
Schools and local authorities should not seek to prevent parents from educating their children outside the school system. There is no requirement for parents to obtain the school or local authority’s agreement to educate their child at home.
Parents have a duty to ensure their child of compulsory school age receives suitable full time education but this does not have to be at a school.’
I have fulfilled all of my legal obligations in this case by simply instructing you to deregister my child as per the 2019 Elective Home Education guidelines.
I await confirmation by return that you have now removed my child’s name from the school roll.
Sample letter to request a copy of your file, school, EHE, social services etc.
DEPARTMENT (ie Social services, EHE)
This is to include all records; copies of all e-mails, faxes, letters, copies of all telephone messages, copies of all internal memo’s. Copies of all contact logs and copies of all running sheets. This list is not exhaustive.
I expect a full copy to be posted to my address within the 40 day time limit. I do not wish to visit or meet with you to look over my file at this time.
Ideas on what to include in an educational provision letter. (Scotland)
This list will give you some ideas as to what you could include when asking for consent for your child’s name to be withdrawn from the school register:
- What is your educational philosophy or ethos: e.g. structured, autonomous etc? How will Home Education be a positive thing for your child? If your child has any special needs it would be a good idea to describe how those needs will be met.
- Who will be involved in providing the education? Are tutors used? Will you be following a curriculum, project-based or more child led? How will you assess your child’s progress? i.e. informally through discussion, tests, or another way?
- It would be useful to include a list of the sort of materials your child will have access to: supervised internet, books/library, DVDs, tv, computer, museums, science equipment, art materials, workbooks/worksheets. Does your child already take part in any activities or will they be starting new one, Home Ed group, Cubs/Scouts, gymnastics, dance etc?
This list is not exhaustive, you could include more, or leave sections out.