Frequently Asked Questions

You should find the answer to all your questions in these FAQ.
If you are still unsure of something please do

Home Education can be whatever you want it to be; completely child-led or fully structured, or somewhere in-between.  It really is up to you.

There is no curriculum to follow – unless you want to.

There is no-one to tell you how to do it, it’s up to you how it works.

There is no right and wrong way as long as you are ensuring your child receives an education suitable to their age, ability and aptitude; as well as catering for any special needs.

The best thing to do if you are not sure or want to talk to others in a similar position is to read through the website, and also ask other Home Educators. Find your Local Group, or join one of the Home Education Facebook groups.

There is no definitive answer, Home Education can cost as much or little as you want it to.  Museums are often free, Google and YouTube are every Home Educator’s friend, books can be found second hand or in libraries etc.  The other extreme would be a costly curriculum – these come with everything you would need to study.  Before buying one we recommend asking others. Facebook is one good place to chat to other Home Educators, and to find out details of local social meets.  The cost is down to your individual circumstances and your child’s needs.
Many venues and websites now offer a Home Ed discount,  and you can always join the Facebook Discount Group for specific resource ideas.

You DON’T have to: (unless you want to)

  • follow the National Curriculum,  or any bought curriculum
  • stick to school times or terms
  • do lessons
  • plan/timetable
  • be monitored
  • sit all day at the table/do workbooks
  • need a ‘school’ room
  • have lots of money
  • be a teacher or have qualifications


  • be autonomous/semi-structured/structured (or any mix of these)
  • take time to get school out of your system as a family and try out different methods and styles of home education (sometimes known as “deschooling“, but do NOT use this term with the LA)
  • follow your child’s interests
  • play
  • have fun
  • go out
  • learn together

Nothing to start with, and we strongly recommend you don’t spend huge amounts on anything for a couple of months.  As long as you have paper, pens, pencils, computer access and a library card you will be fine.  As you figure out your child’s interests and style of learning you can buy, rent, or borrow resources and purchase the necessary materials.

There are no rules on how many hours or days your child should be learning, the only thing to consider is that the education needs to be full-time. There is currently no definition of what full-time is.  This does not have to mean school hours, or sit-to-the-table formal work.  Consider the school day – by the time you’ve taken off break and lunch time, assembly, moving through the school to different areas, putting on/taking off coats, getting changed for PE and back again and so on, the actual time spent in lessons is considerably shorter than the school day. Then take off time spent by the class teacher on the questions and pastoral issues of up to 30 children in the class, and you can see how little time is dedicated to the education of each individual child.

Now compare that to a  day in the life of a Home Educated child.  For example, whilst eating breakfast the child could be asking questions and discussing something with their parent(s) (and siblings, if they have them and they are home), or reading. They could be watching a documentary after that, or maybe they do some worksheets for half an hour, then water the garden and discuss nature with their parent(s), which evolves into online research into bird habitats, and then a walk to the woods to spot birds and have a picnic.  It’s only lunchtime and they have probably covered more in a morning than a full day in school.  Home Education doesn’t stop and start, it is continuous.

In a nutshell, probably not!

Yes there are families that live in remote areas and have to make a substantial effort for their child to see other kids, but it can be done.  There is usually a social group not very far away. Look on Facebook using the term Home Education followed by your town, area or county.

Children don’t socialise in school, at least not in a way that is natural to them. They are forced into a classroom with 30 other kids the same age, play-time is limited to a few age groups and very little ‘equipment’ to choose from.  Home Ed kids get to do what adults do – they choose who and when and where.  Yes it means the parents organising play meets (depending on the age of the child), but the time they spend with friends is much more natural.

Home Ed kids can have friends of all ages and abilities: from the toddler next door, to the old lady over the road and the nice man in the grocers,  and local school kids as well as other home ed kids.

Home Ed kids get more opportunity to build real friendships.  Sometimes they may go a few days or even a week or so without seeing any other kids, but when they do it’s quality time with their friends.  Sometimes you might have to make a conscious effort to actually have a quiet day at home, because there is so much to do. Just as with education, there is no defined right amount of social interaction – every child is different! One child’s “quiet week” is another’s “far too much”.

There are Home Ed meetings and outings, as well as ‘after school’ clubs that your child can join just as they would if they were in school. (Dance classes, St John’s Ambulance, gymnastics, Young Farmers…the list is endless!) There are a few ways to find local families: there is likely to be a Facebook group for your LA area/county, there may also be one on Yahoo Groups.  Please have a look at the MAP to see if there’s a known group near you.  If one isn’t listed, don’t despair – there probably is one, and we may have a local support in your area too, so please do contact us.

No, you don’t have to meet them.  You are not legally required to have visits or let them meet your child or provide evidence of work  (check out the Scottish requirements as you are required to correspond with the LA before withdrawing your child from school); but you should always respond to their letters and never ignore their correspondence.  The changes in 2019 made to the EHE guidance now mean we suggest that providing a written report to the EHE team is advisable, our sample report should help you out.

Some Local Authorities think they have a duty to monitor or actively check for safeguarding issues. They have neither duty.  Once you deregister, or don’t send them to school at age 5, the child’s education is solely the responsibility of the parent.

Please read the legal stuff HERE to find out more about visits, reports and monitoring,

Yes they can.

It is the parent’s responsibility to find an exam centre that accepts external candidates and to pay the fee

See our dedicated EXAMS page.

YAHOO EXAM GROUP offers support and advice on this.

In Scotland children can access SQA exams.  You need to find a centre willing to take external candidates, some people have found that the school/college expect the child to be enrolled. There is nothing to stop children in Scotland accessing IGCSE.

There is also the option for Home Educated children aged 14-16 to go to college.  Click HERE for more information.

You need to write to the Director of Education at your LA,  state that as per your legal right, you intend on educating your child at home, under section 30 of the Education (Scotland) Act 1980.  Ask for your consent for your child’s name to be withdrawn from the school roll as soon as possible (or a certain date). You may choose to also send a copy of your letter to the school, so that the Head Teacher is aware of your decision,  you are not legally required to inform the school.

It is important that you include a statement about detailing your education plans, with your letter, this will help with the withdrawal process.  It should give some information about how you plan on providing an education, the resources and provision.

Always send any correspondence by recorded delivery and keep copies.

Until consent to withdraw has been given in writing, the child must carry on attending the school (unless he/she can show ‘reasonable excuse’.)

See SAMPLES of letters

Educational Freedom primarily focuses on home education in England, for further information about Scotland please contact

If your child has never been in school and they are now of “compulsory school age’ it doesn’t mean you have to suddenly teach them, haven’t they been learning up until now?  So keep going and evolve naturally. There is no requirement on you to inform the LA that you Home Educate.

If you’re moving area and your child is registered at a school,  you need to let the school know you’ve left and no longer require the place (no need to state you’re now Home Educating).

If your child was due to move to secondary school and you’ve changed your mind, then please make sure you inform the school and LA admissions that you no longer require the place, you do not have to tell them you will be home educating, though they may ask at which point we suggest it best to tell them you’re home educating (it prevents your children being considered as CME).

If you currently home educate and are known to the LA then wait until you move and then send a letter (not an email), stating you have now moved out of the area, do not say where to. There is no requirement to tell them where, and no requirement to inform the new LA.

Don’t worry if you become known. The LA will make contact asking for details of the child’s education, they may want confirmation that your child isn’t CME (child missing education). In this case you just need to confirm that you are Home Educating. People become known if someone informs the LA such as a GP, Sure Start, a hospital etc. This is often done because that person thinks they have a duty to inform the LA, some do it because they have no understanding of Home Education.

Once you’ve sent the DEREGISTRATION letter to school you can immediately stop sending your child (no permission needed/SEN school is different). The school will forward the letter onto the LA who will sometimes send out an EWO to knock on your door (doorstepping). You DO NOT have to let them in. You can be polite and tell them that you are happy with your decision to Home Educate and do not need their service. Also say that you will happily correspond with the EHE in writing. Be aware that job titles will differ within the home ed department.

The EHE person will make contact with you, often as early as the same day you deregister, sometimes it can be months (if ever) before you hear from them.  The content of this contact can vary dependent on the LA area.  A good LA will tell you about local groups and support networks. They will explain that visits and form filling are not legal requirements.  Often the forms are not relevant to home education, we suggest you provide a report rather than filling in their forms.

LAs should include some written information based on the governments EHE guidance. If you read the government guidelines and familiarise yourself with them, you are more likely to know when/if your LA is acting outside of them (ultra vires).

Sometimes an LA may write to tell you that they have arranged to visit you on a set day and time; they may try claiming they have a duty to monitor, or that they have to meet the child or see work, which is not acceptable, especially if you are new to Home Ed. 

What ever the LA sends you, you should ALWAYS respond, never ignore them.  Respond with one of our sample letters or contact us if you are not sure.

There are, of course, some helpful LAs out there, so it is useful to chat with local families to find out the general consensus.  But remember, you may consider someone nice and another person may think they are awful.  The same goes for each EHE advisor – they are a person, and what they consider suitable with regards to education may differ from your views. The EHE guidelines do not give them any recommendations on the support/advice they should offer, so it all comes down to the personal viewpoint of the individual advisor.

Once the LA have had contact from you, they will let you know how often they will be contacting you. The LA have no legal duty to monitor, an annual ‘how are you’ kind of letter is acceptable. However, many don’t do this and will send another visit request as often as 3 monthly! If you need support please do contact us.

If it comes to their attention, or they have a reason to believe, an education isn’t being provided or isn’t adequate then they can make further enquiries. If this is the case, the LA should make it clear what their concerns are.  These can be from a concerned neighbour/medical professional etc. or from a previous visit where they decided the education wasn’t adequate (though this may be based on the advisor’s prejudices and/or biased opinions).  In these circumstances it is advisable to respond, again in writing, detailing the educational provision and addressing their concerns.

Mosty Local Authorities will ask to meet or have a phone conversation, you do not have to accept these and can offer a written report instead, albeit not a legal requirement, it is a good way to ensure the LA are happy and will then leave you alone. See SAMPLE REPORT

There is no need to write lengthy reports, a couple of paragraphs about the provision is more than adequate for LA informal enquiries. If the LA have stated any concerns then a lengthier report would be advisable.

Educational Philosophies describe why you educate, the LA (and court) have to respect your philosophical reasons for Home Educating, so it can be useful to add a few lines about your philosophy.
PLEASE NOTE: an educational philosophy on it’s own will NOT be adequate information for an LA to be satisfied.  You should always include how you educate and what you provide, separately as a report.

Whilst the EHE guidance does say the LA can ask to see the child’s work, we do feel that this does not respect all styles of learning or all children’s needs. You can tell the LA that any work completed by the child is their property, and that they do not give permission for it to be shared with a stranger.
It’s also important to note that there are many instances where a home educated child wouldn’t produce a piece of work, such as through discussions or outings, it  may be worth pointing this out to the LA.

Once the LA receive your letter asking for consent to withdraw your child from school, the LA should send an acknowledgement. They should then consider quickly whether or not there are any reasons for consent to be withheld.  Consent should be granted quickly as long as there is no evidence exists to support the withholding of consent, and you have submitted information about the educational provision.

The council should inform you, in writing, in full, if they refuse or will be delaying its consent. If your proposed educational provision is deemed unacceptable the LA should give you the chance to amend your plans.

Scottish LAs should send you their ‘information/guidelines for parents’ these should be inline with the statutory guidelines for education authorities which was issued by the Scottish Government in January 2008.

LAs often ask for a visit or to meet with you,  to discuss your plans to home educate, you are not obliged to meet with them, in your home or elsewhere, but it is highly recommended that you keep up with correspondence.

Your child MUST continue to attend school until consent has been received IN WRITING


Educational Freedom primarily focuses on home education in England, for further information about Scotland please contact

Once you have deregistered/withdrawn your child from school, and you agree to meet the EHE, or you choose to send some written information, the EHE is likely to send you a report (or at the very least a statement) on their findings.  We suggest you insist on receiving one.

Check their report and demand any errors be corrected.  If they are not satisfied with the provision they will let you know and you will be given chances to rectify the issues.

This is also the process should a concern come to their attention; you can provide a report, and an educational philosophy if you wish.  (Please note, an educational philosophy on its own is not enough information about the educational provision).

Once you receive contact from the EHE (or other, such as EWO) you can tell them in writing (see sample letter) that you do not wish to meet with them.  You are well within your rights to opt out of visits, and most LAs accept that without question.  Some may need reminding of the law.  It shouldn’t be used against you at any point as it is not a legal duty of the LA to monitor.

Once you’ve stated that you do not wish to meet with them you can include a brief report on your provision.  Remember, the LA have no right to demand access to your home, or to your child/ren in order to assess suitability.

Families that deregister children from school often find that the child, and the parent, stay in “school mode” for quite a while.  Often if a child has been bullied, or didn’t enjoy school, the thought of anything that resembles school can be upsetting.  Taking time to deschool can mean having a chance to find a new way of learning.

There is, however, no legal right to deschool. The DfE EHE guidelines state that “Some parents may go further and describe this period as being necessary for “deschooling”. There is no legal basis for such a position. Any statement along these lines could be an indication that the child is not being properly educated.”  This is in section 6.2 of the guidance. However, it goes on to say :

“It is not unreasonable that good home education develops with experience as a child becomes used to being in a different learning environment and parents “find their feet”, and it would be unrealistic to make a judgement about the suitability of home education provision only a few days after it is started. However, families should be aiming to offer satisfactory home education from the outset, and to have made preparations with that aim in view, as time lost in educating a child is difficult to recover. In such cases, a reasonable timescale should be agreed for the parents to develop their provision…”

Deschooling often happens for about a month for every year the child was in school, some children need less, some may need more.  In that time it doesn’t mean an education isn’t being provided, it means you don’t have to jump right in to a style.  You don’t have to sit them to the table on day one, you could spend some time going to the park or beach, wandering around museums, meeting friends, baking etc.  You will find that you will pick up on how your child learns best.  Some children and parents will choose not to deschool at all, and that is ok, each family should do what is best for them. It is often that the parents need time to deschool more than the child!

See our dedicated DESCHOOLING page.

Unfortunately some schools/LAs do report to social services, but most don’t.

Most of these kind of referrals are dealt with swiftly, so please try not to let this worry you.

If you are in the unfortunate position that they have called SS, please print out this document; some SWs don’t understand Home Education law and this document explains it all for them.

If you are concerned about a school or LA reporting you maliciously, then include this quote in your correspondence :

England only:

Revised statutory guidance for local authorities in England to identify children not receiving a suitable education, 2009.  Section 73.  When raising awareness with partner agencies it is useful to remind them that parents may lawfully educate their children at home.  Where a local authority is satisfied that a parent is providing their child with a suitable full-time education, the child is not the target of this duty.  However, the local authority does have the power to issue a school attendance order if it appears that the parent is not providing a suitable education.  Education of children at home by their parents is not, in itself, a cause for concern about the child’s welfare.

Wales only:

Inclusion and Pupil Support – Section 6 – Elective Home Education, 2008  section 6.1 … a parent’s decision to home educate is not in itself grounds for concern about the welfare of children…

Scotland only:
4.6 Child protection concerns by local authority officers The welfare and protection of all children, both those who attend school and those who are educated by other means, is of paramount concern and is the responsibility of the whole community.  As with school educated children, child protection issues may arise in relation to home educated children.  It should not be assumed that child protection issues are more likely to arise for children who are home educated.  If any child protection concerns come to light in the course of engagement with children and families, these concerns should immediately be referred to the appropriate authorities using established protocols.

If your child has never been registered with a school, and you intend to Home Educate, there is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT for you to complete any school place application forms your LA may send you. You are perfectly entitled to ignore them.  They do attempt to get you to inform them that you will be Home Educating, but you do not legally have to tell them.  If the LA doesn’t know about you, you are considered unknown or off the radar.  It’s a good place to be, no annual (or quarterly) attempts to illegally monitor you.

Home Education is a legal option; EWOs (truancy) and the police should know this.  If you are stopped by an EWO or a security guard just explain that you Home Educate, this should be adequate.  Be aware that you are not obliged to share your details.

If you are unknown to the LA then definitely don’t give your details (you are not legally obliged to share any information with an EWO).  You will become known to the LA if you do.

If a police officer asks, then yes give your details, but specify that they are not to be shared with the EWO.  You can order an Educational Freedom card for yourself, and one for each child HERE.  They quote the law and will have your contact details on in case your child is stopped.

Yes you can. And you may be able to claim some of the costs back if you are working. However, you, the parent are still legally responsible for ensuring your child is receiving a suitable full-time education (no legal definition of full-time) for children of compulsory school age (term after the 5th birthday).

The childminder is allowed to provide support for ‘homework’ type learning, or other agreed upon learning, but the parent is legally responsible for the suitability of that education, so you will need to have regular communication with the childminder to ensure you are satisfied with what and how your child is learning.

A childminder is not likely to agree to providing extensive hours of educational support and should not be used as the primary educator.

Yes you can, but you have to consider the allowed child to minder ratios.  Also you will need to consider that your child will need to receive a full-time education, so you will need to be sure you can do both.

Yes you can, but if you are claiming JSA or Universal Credits you are still expected to be looking for, and be available for, work.  Home Educating does not exempt you from this, although you are not expected to take a job if you can not find appropriate child care.  The Job Centre should not advise you to use school as a child care option.

You can now claim for children post 16 who are new to home education, if they have special needs.

See our other pages Tax Credits Income Support/Carers Universal Credits Child Benefit

Yes, many parents find that being self-employed works brilliantly with Home Educating.  It often gives the flexibility to fit everything in – don’t forget Home Ed doesn’t have to be 9-3.30.

In short no, there is nothing in the law to say you have to tell your LA that you are moving.  Nor is there anything to say you have to tell the new LA that you are there.  BUT the LA has a duty to establish whether children are missing an education, if you disappear they may classify you as CME, so it is probably best to notify the LA that you have moved house and you continue to Home Educate.  You could do this in writing on the day you move.  You are not obliged to give a forwarding address.  If you become known to the new LA (or have moved within the same LA and are found) then a CME officer is likely to come to you or ring you.  We advise that you do not let them into your home.  You just need to tell them that you Home Educate and will liaise in writing with the Home Ed team.

Your child is entitled to the same medical care a schooled child can access. You can do this through your GP or school nurse (they are assigned to all children in an area, rather than just a school).
You can ask your GP surgery to regain care of your school age child from the school nurse team, though in most areas, the school nurse deals with vaccinations and referrals.

Comments are closed