• Advice from Home Educators

    "Make the most of the time you spend together. Home educating a teenager gives you the opportunity to get to know your children in a way that other parents don't. Enjoy it, and realise that you have a relationship with your child that 'normal' families would be very jealous of."


    Tips from us

    Read our FAQ and the legal stuff. Knowing your rights is VERY important.



Home Education, Home Educator.

Sometimes referred to as Home schooling, although this an American term which is not commonly used in the UK and is used to represent the re-creation of school at home or an LA provided tutor.


Elective Home Education.
Often used to mean the person/team at the LA that deals with Home Education.

Also known as educational social worker, Home Education inspectors, teaching monitor and any other name they fancy really!


Children Missing Education
Sometimes used when referring to the officer whos role is CME, they are most commonly sent out to unknowns to ascertain how a child is educated and refers on to the EHE once they are told you Home Educate.

FS or F/S


The term used to describe full time education, split between school and off site education, whether that be at home or forrest school etc.

LA ( Formerly LEA )

This is your Local Authority/council. The term LA is often used with regard to anyone within the education team, whether truancy/Home Education/welfare etc.

ELB ( NI )

Education and Library Board. Within NI they are the local bodies dealing with education, including Home Education.

There are 5 ELBs in NI:
BELB (Belfast)
NEELB (North Eastern – most of Co.Antrim plus eastern part of Co.Derry/Londonderry incl Antrim, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Carrickfergus, Coleraine, Larne, Magherfelt, Moyle and Newtownabbey)
SEELB (South Eastern – most of Co.Down and some of Co.Antrim incl Ards Peninsula, Castlereagh, Down, Lisburn, Bangor)
WELB (Western – incl Omagh, Derry/Londonderry, Enniskillen)
SELB (Southern – incl Craigavon, Banbridge, Cookstown, Dungannon, Armagh, Newry, Mourne)


Education Welfare Officer (also known as school inclusion officer, educational social worker) and more commonly known as truancy officers.


Department for Education

Comments are closed